Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish.

Each week they will post a new Top Ten list that one of their bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

This week's list: Top Ten Books that Came Recommended

I have tons.

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling. Recommended by pretty much everyone.

2. Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. My sister recommended this one, and I will be forever in her debt.

3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. This one was my mom's recommendation and boy was she right. I've read it at least three times.

4. Narcissus and Goldmund by Herman Hesse. Another book my mom practically shoved down my throat and one which I love.

5. The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber. Another one my mom recommended.

6. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. No suprise here since it's my favorite in the whole world. I have to thank my AP English teacher for this one. Thank you Mr. Remis!

7. Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe by Edgar Allan Poe . Another one my mom recommended.

8. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. Yeah, you guessed it, my mom.

9. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur C. Doyle. My mom, yet again. She seems to talk a lot, doesn't she?

10. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. A friend actually bought this one for me, and it is fabulous.



9 comments:

Annette Mills said...

I'm reading Jane Eyre right now -- haven't read it since high school, and that was a long time ago. I'm enjoying it. Also, shout out for Poisonwood Bible. Loved it. You might want to try The Lacuna, if you like Kingsolver...

Trish said...

Gosh, you've got some great titles here. I especially liked #3, 6, 7, 8, 9, & 10! I think maybe we have very similar tastes, no?

Loni said...

Your Mom seems to have great taste in literature. Those are some great books.

Ann said...

Jane Eyre is definitely on my TBR pile. I'm going to make myself read it before going to see the movie! In fact, I've just started reading The Distant Hours by Kate Morton and the main character in this book carries a copy of Jane Eyre around with her in her handbook for when she's 'caught in a queue'!

Here's my list of recommendations:
http://thebookgatherer.blogspot.com/2011/05/10-books-that-were-recommended-to-me.html

Yvette said...

I am a huge fan of the orginal Sherlock Holmes stories as well. Also the Harry Potter books and Jane Eyre. Can't remember who recommended them or if I just discovered them on my own. Great list.

Birdie said...

Sherlock Holmes, Harry Potter, Jane Eyre--you have good friends and recommenders! Great list!

LWSpotts said...

Loved Jane Eyre, but I had really mixed feelings about The Poisonwood Bible. I will one day read something else by Kingsolver, as I don't want PB to be my only experience.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

My mom and I share a love of books together. In fact one day she called me and I told her that I had a book recommendation and she said she had one for me, too. We were both recommending that the other person read the same book: Poisonwood Bible. I haven't reread it. I wonder if I'd like it as much the second time around.

Katie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog this week. (I'm just catching up on comments from Tuesday now.) I like your list! Sounds like you know readers with good taste. :-)