Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Dying Gasp (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #3) by Leighton Gage


This is the second book in the series, a captivating look at the child-prostitution trafficking in Brazil. The author was kind enough to offer me both the first book and the second book and I am very thankful. I truly enjoyed it.

The writing was as concise as the first one, but the story was even more thought out, the complex plot lines merging and weaving together in an almost seamless fashion. It was fast paced without being manic, and I for one, never found myself bored or confused.

The characters are the best part of these two books. The main character Mario Silva, is a quirky mix of charisma, sarcasm and intelligence, and the supporting detectives, or agents, provide plenty of comic relief in a book that could easily have become too depressing for the common reader. The villain, whose identity I will not reveal because I don’t want to ruin it for anyone, is fantastic. I highly enjoyed following her/his (if I say the genre, it’s too easy) depraved plots.

What I enjoy most in these books is the clarity in the writing. There is no attempt to fool the reader, only to tell a story well. That to me, is refreshing.



No comments: